Beginner clinic at Bear mountain and intermediate ride at Hartland- August 6th

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Beginner clinic at Bear mountain and intermediate ride at Hartland- August 6th

Post  dlmills on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:35 am

The intermediate/advanced ride will include higher and more technical trails, and riders should plan to be out for up to two to three hours. This will be a faster paced ride with short and fewer breaks to increase our cardio and will be at Hartland at the regular time of 10:00am
Beginner Clinic:
Time: Meet at THE HUB at 9:50am - ready to ride at 10:00am (please don't be late)
Cost: $25 + current DGZ membership required
Minimum of 2 participants - Maximum 8

Advanced registration required. Sign-up on our Facebook page event
E-transfer payment to dirtygirlzbikeclubvictoria@gmail.com

This is the second member clinic of the year. Please indicate your riding ability when registering e,g.: brand new rider - have some basic skills - returning rider (a bit rusty), etc. You don't need to attend every clinic but each session will build on the previous. Pam will start with the basics and work up from there.

Skills to be covered: In addition to the basics, focus for this clinic will be on slow speed cornering like switchbacks, corners up hill and down hill.

Basics may include: Stance and Balance (Key fundamental position on the bike and pedals), Braking and Descending and rolldowns (rock faces, stair step roots, etc), Climbing and shifting, Basic cornering, Front wheel lifts (getting over obstacles), Switchbacks (slow speed corners), high speed cornering, Basic drops (if we can find a place with no consequences and skills are high enough), Straight line riding (basic bike movement, lateral movement, etc), Dynamic riding / Reactive Riding (pumps to gain speed on trails).

Course Objective: Its not how far or how fast we ride, its how much we learn while doing it. This is not a cardio ride, in fact it will be a lot of stopping to talk about the skill and learn the skill on the trail or even on the fire roads at times. We will be learning in a supportive environment going step by step. Some people will learn quicker than others and I hope that those people will help to mentor others in the group as this happens.

What to bring: Clothing for the weather. Remember we are stopping often so make sure you have enough clothing to keep warm and dry if the weather isn't great. Make sure to have enough water (hydration pack like camelbak or dakine is nice to have) and snacks to keep you hydrated and energized as learning can be exhausting. Proper fitting helmet, flat pedals are preferred for learning but not mandatory (proper footwear for the type of pedal meaning flat shoes for flat pedals or clip shoes for clip pedals), a bike in good working order. Things happen sometimes on the trail and we'll do what we can to resolve it however please don't bring a broken bike hoping we can fix it before the clinic. Bring some basic tools (tube, pump, multi tool, tire levers). Please wear gloves. Its preferred to have full fingered gloves to protect fingers from falls and trees. Also leg and elbow armor are not mandatory but sometimes nice to have along.

Coach: Pam Reid. I am a level 1 & 2 certified Coach who has worked with the Trek Dirt Series for 8 seasons. My husband and I, along with our two black labs live part time in Whistler in our condo from May until Late October, and in our house in Bear Mountain the rest of the time. I have traveled to California, Colorado, Oregon and Alberta to coach as well as working at local BC camps. I also love to ride personally in Moab, Fruita, Sedona and Las Vegas whenever i can get out there. I ran a successful 4 week course in Duncan at Tzouhalem for a group of beginners and intermediates as well. I started out as a participant in the Canmore Dirt Series in 2005 and 2006. From there i assisted in 2007 and worked towards my certifications. I was then hired by Candace Shadley to work with the Trek Dirt Series. I teach in both the valley (XC) and the Bike park (DH). I love working with the Novice and intermediate rider to build confidence on the trails and a passion for mountain biking.

Other clinic dates:

Saturday September 3 (long weekend)
Saturday October 8

Email us with any questions: dirtygirlzbikeclubvictoria@gmail.com

dlmills

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum